In the production of Barley Starch® husks are removed and the flour from the dry milling is soaked in water. After the separation of fibres and protein the A-starch is purified in hydrocyclones and dried.
Barley Starch® is a pure carbohydrate containing only 0,4 % protein, 0,4 % fat and 0,2 % minerals. It still has the character of barley in mashing for beer.
Barley Starch® contains no preservatives nor additives. It is starch in the native form.
Barley Starch® is an alternative raw material for beer production. It can be added with malt directly to the mash tun and no separate precooking is necessary. The gelatinization of Barley Starch® is completed at a relative low temperature (64 °C).
The active enzymes in barley malt can especially well break down the starch of barley and the saccharification rate is very close to the hole malt one.
Up to 20 % of malt can be replaced by Barley Starch® without the need for external enzymes. When higher proportions are used, additional amylolytic enzymes or high enzyme malt are needed to achieve complete saccharification.
Barley Starch® is advantageous to use as an adjunct. Handling, storing, weighing and feeding to the mash tun can be automated quite easily.
Benefits in brewing
- increases possibilities in product development
- has neutral taste and flavor
- decreases the content of fat, protein and polyphenols in wort
- gives lighter and more drinkable beer
- gives fresh and well-balanced flavor
- increases the chemical stability of beer
- increases the taste stability of beer
- has a good brew house yield (over 100 % db because of the hydrolysis extra)
- decreases the amount of spent grain